Guidelines & Requirements
The Express Program provides employers fast, simple access to grant-funded training, helping businesses in Massachusetts respond to emerging needs. Last year, the Express Program awarded hundreds of training grants totaling more than $3.5 million dollars, with applications accepted and grants awarded on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- Grant funds are limited to $30,000 per company per calendar year and $3,000 per employee per course.
- Massachusetts businesses, of any size, may apply. In order to qualify, businesses must pay into the Workforce Training Fund. All for-profit companies pay into the fund.
- All trainees must be full-time or part-time payroll employees of the company receiving an Express Program grant and must be employed in Massachusetts. (Trainees are not required to live in Massachusetts.)
- Contractors or employees of other firms (e.g., temps) are not eligible to participate in grant-funded training.
- Eligible employers are encouraged to apply at any time for funding that is right-sized to their current needs. Companies may apply for and receive more than one Express Program grant at a time, up to a total of $30,000 in new grant funds per calendar year.
- For any grant application received prior to July 1, 2021, upon completion of an approved course, all grant recipients may request reimbursement for up to half of the total cost of approved training, per the terms of their Express Service Agreement. (This applies to any approved course that is included in an Express Service Agreement from applications received prior to July 1, 2021, even if training takes place after Jul 1, 2021.)
- For applications received on or after July 1, 2021:
- For grant recipients with more than 100 MA employees, upon completion of an approved course, you may request reimbursement of as much as half the total cost of training, up to $3k/person/course
- For grant recipients with 100 or fewer MA employees, upon completion of an approved course, you may receive full reimbursement of the cost of training, up to $3K/person/course.
- You may only request reimbursement for training attended by employees who are on your company’s payroll and work in Massachusetts.
- You must request reimbursement within 30 days after a course has been completed.
- Training should not begin before the Express Service Agreement start date.
- Each training course should be completed within the timeframe entered in the application. Please notify us if your training schedule changes so we can update our record. All approved must be completed within 24 months of the Express Service Agreement start date.
- Employees participating in the training program should not have previously participated in the same or similar training that was funded by the Express Program
- Courses that a company is legally mandated to provide to its employees are not eligible for reimbursement under this program (e.g., OSHA).
- Applicants may only select courses that are listed on the Express Course Directory. However if you are interested in selecting a course that is not currently registered, you may wish to encourage the training provider to register the course.
- Employees must be paid at their regular pay rates during training hours.
- Live, synchronous, instructor-led virtual or remote training is permitted, but employees must attend training on paid time. Assignments or pre-work should also be completed on paid time.
- Commonwealth Corporation makes no endorsement regarding the quality of the training providers/courses listed in the directory. You are encouraged to conduct your own research and are responsible for confirming course availability and pricing prior to submitting an application.